Every Sunday rolls around with the same thought... what meals am I going to prepare this week? How many carrots do I need to buy? Should I buy some meat free options? So many variables, not enough clear answers.
These are my weekly staples that I put in my basket to ensure I have the right balance of carbohydrates, fats and protein AND I am feeling super inspired to make home-cooked meals most days.
- White and sweet potato
- Carrots (great for snacking too)
- Green beans
- Spinach, mixed lettuce mix, rocket etc
- Bananas (I buy in bulk every 3rd shop and freeze them for smoothies!)
- Peanut butter (would like to say this isn’t a weekly purchase but it is!)
- Dry roasted almonds
- Coconut yoghurt
- Tinned tuna and sardines
- Chicken breast and thighs
- Eye fillet steak
- White rice
- Gluten free bread (I freeze it)
- Extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil
I know if I purchase around 80% from each list each week I will be able to prepare delicious, nutrient dense and satiating meals. Of course this varies seasonally but for the most part these foods lay the foundation of what I eat week in week out.